Support is available from the College to help pupils from financially disadvantaged backgrounds participate in the life and work of the College. This Discretionary Fund is disbursed by the Principal and financed by annual contributions from the MCB Former Pupils Association. The list at the end of this policy provides an indication of how this money is used, but is by no means comprehensive.
Level and Allocation of Funding
The total amount of funding available will vary from year to year depending on the level of contributions from the FPA, any funds remaining from the previous year and the number of applications made. Once it has been allocated it will not be possible to consider any additional requests until the following academic year.
- The level of assistance provided will be at the discretion of the Principal, guided by the average annual UK salary and will give priority to those applications where the household income (before tax) is less than or equal to 75% of this amount.
- The amount of assistance provided may be up to, but not exceeding, 2/3 of the itemised cost.
- A receipt for items purchased must be provided to the College.
- Priority will be given to requests for assistance towards the cost of essential items of school uniform.
- Application for assistance with the cost of an extra-curricular trip or visit may only be made once during a pupil’s time at the College.
Examples of Assistance
- Purchase of essential items of school uniform.
- Travel and residential costs incurred when representing the College as an individual, as part of a group or as part of a team.
- School trips, visits and tours.
- University visit.
- Additional examination administration.
How to Apply for Funding
Requests for funding should be made in writing to the Principal using the Discretionary Funding application form (Word Document or PDF). Applications will be considered by a panel consisting of the Principal, a Vice-Principal and a member of the Board of Governors.
The following information must be provided to allow an informed decision to be made:
- Details of how the funding will be used (e.g. uniform, school trip).
- Detailed costs.
- Evidence of household income (e.g. pay slips, bank statements, benefits statements)
Applications for assistance will be considered at any time but should, where possible, be made between mid-August and the end of the first term.